Thursday, February 5, 2015

Hordak Pop Vinyl Figure #21 - FUNKO / Masters of the Universe

"Blast! I must learn to control my rocket form better! Where could I be? Castle Grayskull? By Horde World, I'm back on Eternia!" - Hordak
Pop Vinyl is one of the lines that I swore I would not get involved in collecting, but after finding out just how much of pop culture they were covering, (and stumbling across my first one at a recovery outlet, HORDAK no less, I was hooked).

If you are new to this line of vinyl collectibles, prepare to end up investing a lot of time looking for them and in some cases, locating some pretty cool variants of them.  I really dig the super deformed aesthetic that these little figurines showcase.

Some are basic swivel head toys, and some are actual bobble heads. I cannot stand bobble heads at all, which is a bad deal since I believe most all of the Marvel ones are bobble head. It has to do with licensing issues for vinyl toy manufacturing rights. But when it comes to such a sprawling line of collectibles, this is when I just allow myself to collect certain themes from within the overall releases. In this case, my hunt is on for the rest of the Masters of the Universe line, of which are getting scarce to find.

I was not surprised by the selection of He-Man, She-Ra, Hordak, and Skeletor, but SPIKOR!? Really? I mean, usually you see Beast Man or Teela as the 5th wheel in these sort of licensing deals. And if it had to be an oddball choice why not Tri-Clops?! That dude was incredibly bad ass in the mini comic series (but kind of stupid in the animated show).

Anyway, onto the Hordak figurine.

Somehow, they managed to make Hordak cute. Tremble in the presence of baby headed Hordak.

Cargo Largo, a reclamation store, was the initial discovery of this fellow. At five dollars, it was too much of a deal to pass up, and it's Hordak.

The box isn't going to win any archival standards, between the new price stickers, and shelf/shipping wear, I was just hoping the figure was alright.

And little Hordak was! I guess those toy companies know a thing or two when it comes to creating some cushion in packaging with blister plastics. :D

There is literally ONE point of articulation on this figure. His head. He looks from left to right. The detailing and paint job on this guy is pretty well done. Nice nods to the original figure sculpts from Mattel.
So Pop Vinyl, you've managed to capture my attention with this effort, and I hear you've also done the Rocketeer and some for Big Hero 6?! Looks like I need to take up a 3rd job again...

Until next time, cherish the good things in life, keep your hobbies and interests alive, and be kind to your fellow beings. - Mario, the Rogue Hobbyist.
 
Stats Rating/Information
Item Pop Vinyl Hordak
Made by FUNKO
Rarity Uncommon - Retired figure
Classification Modern - Released in 2014
Condition Good / Packaging with heavy shelf wear
Procured
Cargo Largo Salvage
Worth $11
Investment $5
Further Research http://funko.com/
Trivia & Fun Facts The design inspiration for Hordak's face was based on the shape and dimensions of an African tribal mask.

No comments:

Post a Comment