Sunday, March 22, 2015

Rocketeer ReAction Figure - FUNKO 2014 Con Exclusive and Standard Editions

(Left) Closeup of Con exclusive graphic (Right) Front of blister card.
Funko is showing no signs of letting up, being that toy company with a finger so on the pulse of the toy industry and pop culture's hearts, that you'd swear they'd had jobs as heart surgeons prior...

...or something akin to whatever Mola Ram has for a job.

At first, I didn't like the idea of the ReAction figure line. Even as a kid, I had always wanted my action figures to be just that much more accurate to the movies and cartoons I watched. Sure, I enjoyed the hell out of whatever figures I had in the 70's and 80's, because it allowed me to have many endless hours of imaginative fun with them. But as I got older, I thought I wanted more detail, better plastics, etc, etc... not really realizing that prices from inflation, tooling, sculpting, paint applications, and marketing would make even many standard Star Wars retail figures sit at around $10 each as they do now days.

Some of the international info on the card back.
Now, the ReAction figures aren't promising incredible detail, and they are fully zoned to recreate or emulate the look of many bygone action figures, and the line does an admirable job of this. But the detail that is there is great, and especially on the regular retail version's paint application. 

(Left) A variant/error happened with this particular packed Exclusive, I got TWO rocket packs! (Right) Top of the reverse of the blister card.

Clearly aiming for the Gen X group, the Rocketeer figures here have just enough styling to them, and great overall presentation that you really don't want to open the packages to get him out. I'm not normally a keep the figure mint on card sort of fellow, but since I love package design so much it's great to see them keep the art imagery that accompanied the movie release as a prominent look on these.

Back and front of the regular retail version of the Rocketeer.
The two figures are essentially the same sculpts and details, but the Convention Exclusive one has a greyscale aesthetic applied to it as a whole. As well as the accidental inclusion of a second rocket pack that somehow got placed in with the figure.

(Left) The rocket pack is actually pretty highly detailed, including vents, rivets, and even a bit of paint for the bubble gum that was used to seal a leak in the pack. (Right) There's not much more than a passing likeness of the actor Bill Campbell

These are two of the first figures that I have no plans on opening ever, so I'm going to be looking into some archival clamshells to store and display them in. They aren't the highest grade, that I know, but Funko did a great job on capturing a bit of memory for me from my youth in both presentation and toy design, that it'd be a shame for me to mar that by opening them.

As a side note, both of these as I mention in the matrix below were bought retail side, I didn't go to the convention to get the limited edition one. Occasionally, you'll find some specialty stores that do get these variants in for the general public to get their hands on, and though it's a great bonus to find them like that, you can't always count on that for some exclusives.

Until next time, cherish the good things in life, keep your hobbies and interests alive, and be kind to your fellow beings. - Mario, the Rogue Hobbyist.
 
Stats Rating/Information
Item Rocketeer ReAction Figures
Made by FUNKO
Rarity Con Exclusive - Possibly unique - packing error of double rocket pack.
Retail Edition - Common
Classification Modern - Released in 2014
Condition Good - some backing card bends evident
Procured Hastings - Warrensburg / Barnes and Noble - KC
Worth Con version $20 / Retail version $9
Investment Con version $7 / Retail version $9
Further Research http://funko.com/
Trivia & Fun Facts The Rocketeer is one of those characters that has left an indelible mark on  pop culture that even years after the movie and the passing of creator Dave Stevens, the character has endured and shows no signs of being forgotten anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment